The Silver Witch


The Silver Witch

By Paula Brackston

 

My mind is like the willow; it flexes and springs. My heart is a knot of oak. Let them try to wound me.

    Finally, after three or four days’ reading…I finished this book eventually. It took me so long to read this one…such a shame for my previous insane reading speed. Now…so what takes me so long to complete this book? nothing, beside my laziness. However…my mind is like the willow, but it doesn’t flexes and springs…it twists. I have such a complicated opinion for this book!!!! Uh!!!! How am I going to rate you at all?

 

A year after her husband’s sudden death, ceramic artist Tilda Fordwells finally moves into the secluded Welsh cottage that was to be their new home. She hopes that the tranquil surroundings will help ease her grief, and lessen her disturbing visions of Mat’s death. Instead, the lake in the valley below her cottage seems to spark something dormant in her – a sensitivity, and a power of some sort. Animals are drawn to her, electricity shorts out when she’s near, and strangest of all, she sees a new vision; a boatful of ancient people approaching her across the water.

On this same lake in Celtic times lived Seren, a witch and shaman. She was respected but feared, kept separate from the community for her strange looks. When a vision came to her of the Prince amid a nest of vipers she warned of betrayal from one of his own. Prince Brynach both loved and revered her, but could not believe someone close to him wished him harm, even as the danger grew.

In her own time, Tilda’s grief begins to fade beside her newfound powers and a fresh love. When she explores the lake’s ancient magic and her own she discovers Seren, the woman in her vision of the boat. Their two lives strangely mirror each others, suggesting a strong connection between the women. As Tilda comes under threat from a dark power, one reminiscent of Seren’s prophecy, she must rely on Seren and ancient magic if death and disaster are not to shatter her life once more.

 

We are each mistresses of our own happiness. We ought not to look to others to supply it.

    The beginning of the story is really, really slow…I almost doze off during the first 100 pages. Unlike what I’ve expected…which I actually expected nothing but magic from this book. It’s actually quite historical…like a mix of historical fiction and fantasy and mystery. I’ve always love a good historical fiction…but there is one thing that I can’t get over…since Tilda is finding her lineage, why don’t she ask her mother? It’s quite possible that her mother know something about it. Isn’t that how those lineage stories go? It makes much more sense! After all, who can possibly know your family history better that your own bloodline? Never mind. There are still a lot of things I need to say about this book. I can’t say I hate it…but I don’t particularly like it either. The thing that makes me so frustrated is the story pace, like I said above. I still can’t get over with that…although the later part of the story is not bad. It’s like getting a circle at the first part…nothing going on at all. Not until the bracelet was found. I was like…what’s taking so slow??? Where is the plot??? I’m tired of the electricity kept going off whenever Tilda appeared!!! 

 And I’m tired of Serene kept saying there is danger but nothing happened besides her affairs with the Prince!!! God!!!! What kind of plot is this?

    But fortunately…when Tilda found the bracelet…or what she though was. The past and the currently finally goes on and on and on and getting more interesting. To me, at least to someone in favor of an enormous historical fiction, the historical part isn’t thrilling enough for a reader to get into. The fantasy and visions part aren’t that catching as well. It is a mixed of several genres I was supposed to like, but instead of the last 100 pages…the book just can’t catch my heart…or eyes. But…if you’re looking for a light historical fiction…you might want to give it a try? At least the part when Tilda finally found her own history isn’t bad. (Oh…and I hate Serene and the prince’s affair…regardless I really, really want to ship them. But I just can’t accept any kind of betrayal to marriage. Sorry.)

 

Get free worldwide delivery from Book Depository

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Beauty of Darkness (The Remnant Chronicles Series 3)

The Struggle to be an All-American Girl  

October + September Book Haul + Pottermore Patronus + New Announcement