Heartless


Heartless
By Marissa Meyer

  Even the blackest heart once beat red.

  You know what? I fell nothing by now…empty, heartless, empty, heartless…without feeling… I’m now a body without soul…
 I’ve long hear lots of lots of rumors about this vicious book…but I never expect it to be like this. Queen of Heart? Although I never cared about her nor fond of her…now…I don’t know any more. As you can read from my previous post, Fairest, I thought I’ll feel some sympathy toward the evil queen…but in fact, I only understand why she done all those terrible things. But Heartless? I’ve no words for it. It’s now winter, and a bit cold in Taiwan as well…but when I’m reading this book? I feel chilling. A sudden chill rise in my body and I can’t stop shaking. (By the way…I’m in my dorm room…which is supposed to be warm) And as you might question what’s my expression now? 
 I feel plain, empty, heartless. (Oh!!!! And thank you Marissa Meyer, you just give me the most brilliant for my own novels…nothing to do with Queen of Heart, of course.)

  Catherine may be one of the most desired girls in Wonderland and a favorite of the unmarried King, but her interests lie elsewhere. A talented baker, she wants to open a shop and create delectable pastries. But for her mother, such a goal is unthinkable for a woman who could be a queen.
  At a royal ball where Cath is expected to receive the King’s marriage proposal, she meets handsome and mysterious Jest. For the first time, she feels the pull of true attraction. At the risk of offending the King and infuriating her parents, she and Jest enter into a secret courtship.
  Cath is determined to choose her own destiny. But in a land thriving with magic, madness, and monsters, fate has other plans.

  Am I kidding????? I’ve so much feeling when I was reading this book!!!!!!!! 
 It’s a large book, and I think larger than Winter? But it’s perfect. I won’t delete any part of it. It’s fantastic, fascinating, brilliant, it bewitched my body and soul. 
 So…it seems…it’s going to be a long, long review. First will be non-spoiler (I sincerely hope…but you might only see me fangirling about this book) and then more detail and spoilers!!!!!

  Heartless is the retelling of Alice in the Wonderland, or to be more specific, the prequel of Queen of Heart. Personally, I think Lewis Carroll wouldn’t mind at all if this is the true story of Queen of Heart, rather than retelling. This story deserves to be save for children to read in the future, YA or not. I’ll definitely read it to my children…if I decide to have one someday. But the point is, the background of Queen of Heart is brilliant, and heart twisted. I love especially Marissa Meyer put a lot of quotes from Alice in the Wonderland inside the story, it brings us closer to our childhood read, rather than a retelling. I can see Alice in this book in the future, and I hope Marissa can have her own Alice retelling as a sequel for this book…because I’m not done with it yet. 
 And never…

  I love all those plot twists, and yes, of course I spoil myself before I finish the book!!!! I love to read the ending first!!!! (Bad Vivian, bad Vivian…) But, to me, a great author will be able to make you anticipate even you spoil yourselves by the ending…and Marissa Meyer is definitely one of them. (Actually…if the author’s book makes me want to read the ending first, rather counting the remaining pages…than you’re half way to success.) I love how those characters wonderfully entwined together and how she mixed new characters into the story line.

  When pleased, I beat like drum. When sad, I break like glass. Once stolen, I can never be taken back.

  Another favorite part of mine is that there are riddles, lots of riddles. New, old, riddles from Alice in Wonderland, riddles from Marissa Meyer herself…don’t you think it’s fun to solve riddles when reading a fantastic book? I love that, at least. And those riddles are usually meant for the future, or something related to the future fate. 
 It still shocks me how Marissa Meyer can create such a story and stole our heart so easily. I’m willing to sacrifice my heart if it meant to read this book. So, beware, my fellow friends…if you’re not willing to torture your heart or give your heart and soul willing…stop touching this book…no matter how the cover seems to calling you. I know the cover is appealing…and it’s definitely one of the most beautiful book covers of 2016...perhaps among all the books I’ve ever read, but…it’s a murderer. It will kill you, slowly, painfully…
Now…SPOILER Time!!!!!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  I must say…I’m so ready for this part!!!! And I’m announcing Marissa Meyer the killer of heart!!!! OFF WITH YOUR HEAD!!!! OR HEART!!!!!! Yes, I’m insane. How can you not feel insane after reading this book??? If you’re not…than you’re not human at all. 

Catherine & Jest

  “Then, when I give you my heart, it will truly be the heart of a queen.”
  Ah! Why did I put them together? HOW CAN YOU SEPARATE THEM!!!!!! I’LL NEVER, EVER FORGIVE YOU FOR THIS!!!!!! (Even though…you should have already know that this won’t be a happily ever after…Queen of Heart? A villain?) But my heart ache so much for them!!! They’ve managed every possible way to be together, conquer the impossible and six impossible things…and then…BOOM!!! Out of a sudden, nothing but a broken heart. And a broken reader…a assure you, I’m definitely fine.  


  Even though Jest isn’t my fictional boyfriend, but I love him really much. I love his every moment with Catherine, even the part he confessed and everything. (It somehow reminds me a little little bit The Kiss of Deception…but who cares? As long as the story plot is twisted and well-form.) I love Jest’s caring characteristic and his interaction with Catherine, especially the part when he help the king with the courtship letter. I laugh so loud when I saw his note, so funny. “P.S. May I have those Macaroons?” Please…if I’m Catherine? You can eat until your heart desire. Sadly…he is the most unfortunate male character I’ve ever read, but I respect you, and you’ll always in my heart, boyfriend or not.
  Now…Catherine…I’m so sorry for you. I love her in every way…and after finishing this book? I don’t know how can I see Queen of Heart in a different way. She reminds me so much of Evil Queen from the TV series Once Upon a Time. 

King of Heart
  No, no quote for him…and he isn’t really that important at all. (Who am I kidding? He is the misery of Catherine!!!!) But, the reason why I’d like to mention him is because…I’d like to put this.

 He is so idiotic. Period.  

Hatta & Raven
 
  Murderer, Martyr, Monarch, Mad
  I assume you can quickly find out which one is who…and how can a Wonderland story be complete without Hatta? He is the soul of Wonderland!!! As for Raven…I honestly know only a little about him…so…yep. Hatta escaped Heart to prevent himself from being mad, however, his fate was connected with Catherine, and he also create the most deadly monster in the Heart. So…without any exception…he was as mad as his ancestors. Hatta is quite a controversy character in this book, since he was never truly insane…not until the end. But, in some way, he is insane…and that make him special…and so annoying as well. 
 And you can get out of their way!!!! Still…I’ll leave you in your madness.

  Well…that’s all I could say…since I don’t want to spoil you that much. But, don’t say I didn’t warn you, you’re not getting a happily ever after from this book. But it’s a thousand, a million times worth reading, and if you love to be heartless as I do, then you definitely need to read this. It. Is. Brilliant.

Get free worldwide delivery from Book Depository

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Beauty of Darkness (The Remnant Chronicles Series 3)

The Struggle to be an All-American Girl  

October + September Book Haul + Pottermore Patronus + New Announcement