Pride and Prejudice Book/Movie/TV Review


Pride and Prejudice 
By Jane Austen
  It was quite a surprised that I'll love this book...how much do I like this book? Hmm...I own three copies of it. One with movie cover, another is the penguins special book cover edition, and the other is Barnes and Noble Classic's leather bound collection. This first Jane Austen novel I know is Sense and Sensibility...and the summery is from magazine. So apparently, my interested was killed by the horrible story teller. Then why will I fall in love with Pride and Prejudice? I'll tell you later.
  Pride and Prejudice is a novel of manners by Jane Austen, first published in 1813. The story follows the main character, Elizabeth Bennet, as she deals with issues of manners, upbringing, morality, education, and marriage in the society of the landed gentry of the British Regency. Elizabeth is the second of five daughters of a country gentleman living near the fictional town of Meryton in Hertfordshire, near London. Set in England in the early 19th century, Pride and Prejudice tells the story of Mr and Mrs Bennet's five unmarried daughters after the rich and eligible Mr Bingley and his status-conscious friend, Mr Darcy, have moved into their neighbourhood. While Bingley takes an immediate liking to the eldest Bennet daughter, Jane, Darcy has difficulty adapting to local society and repeatedly clashes with the second-eldest Bennet daughter, Elizabeth. 
  Ahh...I was actually being forced to read this book. Pride and Prejudice is our summer vacation reading project, all of the students were asked to finish this book. At first, I was reluctant to read, but then BOOM! I just can't pull out from the story! The edition we read at school is the shorter one, only few chapters. But when I finish this book with few hours later...I rushed to the bookstore and bought the complete one immediately. (My beautiful penguin edition~ sigh~) 
  The reason why this book attract me is because the character. Both Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy had extremely strong characters. They were both stubborn...haha. Especially Elizabeth, she was so unlike other women in her period and have her own mind. I believe she will survive well in the modern world. She is such a great character! I like her so much!!! Although I can't agree with some of her prejudice...she never gave Mr. Darcy a chance before. (But...that was sort of his problems as well.) However, her courage to speak out her opinion WoW us, just see her interaction with the duchess. That was really something, especially in her time when women should have their own voice. (Nonsense...girls are as good as boys...even better! Hahaha! Sorry guys...) Then let's turn to Mr. Darcy...when he asked Elizabeth to marry him...I was like "What?" Oh come on...what girl will marry you if you treat everyone with a poker face? Unless she only loves your money...and Mr. Darcy is quite a rich man. Fortunately, Elizabeth wasn't such a girl, or I wouldn't like her at all. So...needless to say...he was rejected. (Haha...Mr. Darcy should really learn some from Mr. Bingley.) But they are the main characters...so Me. Darcy will eventually change his attitude and Elizabeth will put her prejudice aside. (But hay! Mr. Darcy changed "A LOT" after he left Hertfordshire...I even wonder whether he is the same person at all.) And they will live happily ever after...I'm kidding, this is not a fairy tale! You must read the story yourself to experience the entire journey with them! 
  Pride and Prejudice is really a classic book that everyone should read. If you are hesitated because we worried that it'll be a love story...don’t be. Because I personally change my mind on it after I finish this book. You can enjoy those characters in the book, not just Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy, reading their change in the story and how annoying that some people can be.

Movie
Directed by: Joe Wright
Starring: Keira Knightley, Matthew Macfadyen
  What I didn’t say above…is that movie is one of the most important reasons why I love this book. The movie is great!!! I love Keira Knightley as Elizabeth Bennet, she just bring out the best part of her and the stubborn inside her character. The details in the movie always amaze me, especially they look really hard to find those mansions. And the music…I love it!!! I even have the music score! The music brings out the best side of the movie, and makes us forget those different parts. Unlike the TV version, of course the movie needs to delete some of the scene and adapt the story. Fortunately, since Pride and Prejudice is such a classic story, the script writer won’t change the entire story into a new one, so…forget the small detail inside the movie, it’s totally bearable. And…if there is something to complain is that I believe some of the culture is differ from the period. But I’m here to spoil some great part…the extra part in the movie is great!!! You mustn’t blame the director for adding other scenes, they make the movie even better!!!


TV (1995)
Directed by: Simon Langton
Starring: Colin Firth, Jennifer Ehle
  Hmm…I’m not here to judge the TV version. Of course, the TV version entirely follows the book, which all book lovers will be appreciate. I’ll compare the different between the movie and the TV. First will be the actors. I must say…most of the actors in the TV are better than the movie. Expected Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy, I think both movie and TV are great. The actor choice was perfect for the characters. But as for some supporting role like Mr. Collins, Colonel Fitzwilliam, I prefer Mr. Collins in TV. He was so…unpleasant! But that’s what the character should be, isn’t he? He was meant to be unpleasant…and Colonel Fitzwilliam…hum, apparently his part in the book was mostly cut out in the movie. As for Lady Catherine…I think both of them weren’t bad…but apparently the actor in the movie was more…powerful and more control… Second, movie has the better sound record and video image, but I can hardly blame TV for this reason. Since TV was filmed earlier than the movie…so…I forgive you for that. But I still like the modern movie. Third, some might complain Mr. Darcy in the movie. But since I wasn’t aware of that…so I wouldn’t put any complaint on that. Oh! Almost forget some great characters in the movie! I adore the actor who plays Miss Georgiana!!! She’s soo cute! More vivid than the actor in TV version, but the actor in TV I think is more likely to behave more “properly” at that time. However, no one can ever dislike Miss Georgiana in the movie! She’s what a teenage girl ought to be! So…this is some of the different between the movie and TV, if you have enough time…I’ll recommend you watch them both, but if you only got two hours…then watch the movie will be well! 

Comments

  1. And tell me, when are you going to start watching the Lizzie Bennet Diaries? Hmm? (hint: now)(alright, I concede. after the exams. but you HAVE to watch it. it's a modern classic!!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yo Viv. The Exam is over. WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well...I watched the first ep...but I'm still waiting until Cinder is finished~

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Beauty of Darkness (The Remnant Chronicles Series 3)

The Struggle to be an All-American Girl  

October + September Book Haul + Pottermore Patronus + New Announcement